Sunday, March 22, 2015
Prom: Yes or No?
I have mixed feelings about Prom. I find the whole concept to be a socially constructed, rite of passage in which you spend a ton of money on a dress and dance (aka grind) to loud music in a hotel. Extras include: spiked punch, accidental pregnancies, drug usage, etc. Why would I be interested in that? I don't like to dance, I don't like to wear dresses or heels, why on earth would I go to prom? And yet, all my friends are going. They are so excited about finding their dresses and being asked that a small part of me yearns to conform to this idea of prom so that I can enjoy this experience alongside my friends. Stupid, right? I would be a total hypocrite if I spent my entire high school career condemning prom, only to go my senior year. I don't have a date (nor do I want a date, thank you!) I don't have a dress (and I hate shopping for dresses, it is always so depressing) and I still don't know how / don't like to dance (although I did recently learn the cotton-eye joe dance). I'm trying to save money for college so the idea of blowing over $100 on a dance doesn't excite me, and once again, I don't like the idea of prom. So why do I want to go? Maybe I just don't want to be left out. Or maybe the human nature is to conform to society's rites of passage. Or maybe I am just a hypocrite. Who knows.. The point is, I am still not sure if prom is right for me or not, and I am running out of time to decide. If anyone happens to read this and has any comments to add or advice to give, that would be lovely! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment